Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bookworms Unite!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Male Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 7:20 pm

Yes along with my other nerdish quality's im also a proud bookworm, my fav genres are fantasy/sci-fi but i'll read anything if it sparks my interest.

My fav books/series are:

The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings (not everyones cup of tea but i really enjoyed it)
The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams
The Black Magician series by Trudi Canavan
The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix (Met him in person when he came to the writers club at my high school, great guy)
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Spare Parts by Sally Rogers-Davidson
Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony

Of course i have MANY of books that i love eg. Harry Potter, LOTR. But those are my absolute favs.
Back to top Go down
karuri_juuni
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
karuri_juuni

Female Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 7:23 pm

Garth Nix came to your school? That's so awesome! Are the Old Kingdom books the Keys to Kingdom ones, or are those different? I've never known for sure what the Keys ones were officially called. But I like them a lot (though I'll confess that I still haven't read Lady Friday or know when the other ones are coming out).
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 7:27 pm

Its called the Keys to the Kingdom series and its a seperate series to the Old Kingdom series.
I love that series as well (along with vertually anything written by Garth Nix)
The next book in the Keys to the kingdom series comes out here in aus sometime next month (Superior Saturday)

Meeting him was great, he signed all of the books that i had of his (at the time it was around 9)
Back to top Go down
karuri_juuni
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
karuri_juuni

Female Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 9:03 am

Dang. I really need to read the Lady Friday. In fact, I should probably read them all over again so remember what happened. I think so far my favorites have been Wednesday and Thursday, though Monday was cool because everything about the House was so new. Monday's Noon was probably the coolest--though isn't he Arthur's somebody or other now? See? I really ought to read them again.

I read Sabriel by Nix, too, and really liked it, but I haven't looked into reading the ones past that yet. I was in the middle of another series when I picked it up.
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 5:21 pm

I think Mondays noon became Arthur's Monday dusk (cos Arthur has dawn, noon and dusk for every day of the week)

You should really read his Old Kingdom series, its the best. Nix has also just signed on to write at least 2 more books in the series, and hes currently in talks for a Sabriel movie. (squeals like school girl)
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 6:20 pm

Well i just finished reading all the Keys to the Kingdom books consecutively (including the newest book Superior Saturday) and i must say that i really can't wait for the final part in the series. Superior Saturday and Lord Sunday are really going to be like to halves of the same book as Sunday will pick up exactly where Saturday left off.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Female Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 1:38 pm

I need to read more books, maybe it'd inspire me to write more like I used to.
Back to top Go down
http://higure-subs.heavenforum.com
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 4:14 pm

You should always try to read more. I usually like to read at least 1 book a week.
Reading lots sure helps me write more.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 4:27 pm

one book a week! holy... you are a bookworm XD

I haven't read through a book since Eclipse came out. or the last Harry Potter XD whichever came out last I can't remember. I want to read the Host, and re read Eldest, but skip over the boring parts... >.>
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 4:43 pm

lol thats nothing, when i was in the readers cup team at school i read 1 book a day.

I just finished reading The Stone Key by Isobelle Carmody, which i'd been waiting like 5 years for.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 5:56 pm

how many pages? See I can read a book real fast too if I like it enough, the last HP book I read it in a day.
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 6:04 pm

At the time i was only about 13 so the books werent that long, around 300-350 pages.

lol i did the same, i devoured DH in just over 6.5 hours, and i wasn't you know speed reading its just that when you read a good book and you get into that "zone" where its not like your reading at all your absorbing it.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 6:49 pm

exactly! You just sit there and NOTHING else matters. And then you get all pissy when someone tries to interrupt RIGHT when the dramatic stuff starts going on. lol. at least I do >.> my mom interrupted me during the end of the 5th HP book, I was crying and all and almost yelled at her XD I was like, "NOT now" lol. I like reading at night when no one is up because there are NO interruptions XD
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 7:48 pm

yup thats it, when you become one with the book. when your not reading it your being it, you become every char and you literally forget your actually reading.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 8:28 pm

yep, and that is just a sign of good bookmanship... haha, bookman... sorry. XD

Anyway, have you ever read anything by stephanie Meyers? the Twilight series basically I guess. those 3, soon to be 4 books, and all the HP books are the ones that REALLY hooked me. as in hooked, I started read and tore through them in less that 3 days at the most.
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:09 pm

The Twilight series, am i a 15 year old girl lol. That series was made for fangirls.

Of course i've read the HP books and loved them.

Have you ever read anything by my fav author Garth Nix, specifically the Old Kingdom series its gonna be made into movies soon.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:12 pm

hm, nope, never read them before.

lol, twilight is kinda fangirlish isn't it -_- oh edward how I love you....

*ahem* anyway, what are those books about? movies eh? that sounds promising. even if the movies aren't good, usually if a book is made into a movie, the book isn't too bad XD
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:25 pm

The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix is seriously one of the best series ever written.

Check out what its about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Kingdom_series

But pretty basically its about a world where there's 2 sides divided by an ancient wall. One side is kinda like 1950's england and the other is the old kingdom. Where no technology works and alot of people are charter mages.
The charter is like um a sort of thing (lol) that was created at the beginning of time by ancient being things. Charter magic is good, free magic is bad, its used by necromancers who use their 7 bells to raise beings from the 9 gates of death.

Theres different bloodlines that are direct descendants of the creators of the charter. The Abhorsens are one of them, they use 7 bells as well, but they use them to send the dead back to the gates.

Its really hard to explain but if your into that sort of thing then check it out.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:28 pm

hm, thats interesting, I may have to make a surprising appearance at my library.
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:33 pm

I seriously love them, i actually turned into a fangirl when Garth Nix came to my school.

I drive my friends crazy cos im always either humming or singing this song from the books.

"I’ll sing you a song of the long ago.
Seven shine the shiners, oh!
What did the Seven do way back when?
Why, they wove the Charter then!
Five for the warp, from beginning to end.
Two for the woof, to make and mend.
That’s the Seven, but what of the Nine-
What of the two who chose not to shine?
The Eighth did hide, hide all away,
But the Seven caught him and made him pay.
The Ninth was strong and fought with might,
But lone Orannis was put out of the light,
Broken in two and buried under hill,
Forever to lie there wishing us ill."
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:47 pm

lol, niiice song.

if I wanna drive my friends crazy usually all I have to do is start singing the nightmare before christmas song "this is halloween" or the One Winged Angel song from FFVII xD
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:49 pm

lol i love those songs as well. "Boys and girls of every age would you like to see something strange, come with us and you will see this our town of holloween"

I think i got it right.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 10:15 pm

I think you did too XD I love that movie. the songs are so catchy too ;D
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 10:19 pm

I only saw it cos it was in KH, but once i saw it i thought it was great. I really liked the corpse bride as well.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 10:22 pm

oh oh, yeah, I like that one too, but I have to say nightmare is still my fav. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bookworms Unite! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bookworms Unite!   Bookworms Unite! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bookworms Unite!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: Random Chat-
Jump to: