Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nanashi
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
Nanashi

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results Empty
PostSubject: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 8:50 am

As of yet there is only a live transcript: http://bayoab.info/live/live2.php?panel=15.otakon
Getfresh will put up a video on his group's tracker. I think that would be Anime Empires.
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

Male Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 5:01 pm

I can't wait for the video. I hope the fansubbers gave the company's hell.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Female Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 5:06 pm

I hope so. lol. the fan subbing community deserves recognition, and the legit companies should go by example and up their quality if they want subbing to stop, ya know?
Back to top Go down
http://higure-subs.heavenforum.com
[Cross]
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
[Cross]

Male Number of posts : 607

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 5:07 pm

Or possibly just pay these people to do it all and fansubbing becomes a legit paying job XD
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 5:09 pm

Cross wrote:
Or possibly just pay these people to do it all and fansubbing becomes a legit paying job XD

lol i can't see the American licensees ever doing that, i mean anime is a cartoon so it's for kids and kids don't read subtitles.
Back to top Go down
[Cross]
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
[Cross]

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 5:12 pm

well of course not, but probably use them in their dvds.
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 5:16 pm

lol you do realize i was being sarcastic Cross.
Back to top Go down
Nanashi
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
Nanashi

Number of posts : 390

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 5:17 pm

According to the log it was a pretty civilized discussion. And on the long run I think that works better for both sides. The problem is not that they don't recognize the work of fansubbers. The problem is that the fansub community doesn't work according to the plans of the Japanese companies whose rights are enforced by their American partners in American legislation and that fansubs are an unlicensed competing product to their licensed one, which results in them not being able to refinance the thousands of dollars of license fees per ep. This is far from having anything to do with them liking the fansubbers' products or not.
It's all in the log up there. They are working with fansubbers sometimes and some of the industry staff comes from the fansubbing community. The problem is that, to work with fansubbers, the fansubbers would have to stick to the rules of the Japanese companies, the American industry had to agreed to, the fansubbers would have to deliver constant quality and they would have to work as regular subcontractors and quit their other activities, as far as I understood it.

Last edited by Nanashi on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
[Cross]
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
[Cross]

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 5:22 pm

maxsteele77 wrote:
lol you do realize i was being sarcastic Cross.
As was I with the first post.
But on topic, I'm impressed with the conversation they had, there were some parts here and there where they started taking jabs at each other, but otherwise clean.

This is officially my favorite set of lines:

18:22:01 its just the legality rights.. because its a hobby, its this legal area... yes, its illegal, ut its a hobby.. its just the ebb and the flow...
18:22:10 getfresh: we aren't there for the purpose of sticking it to the mann
18:22:17 lance; we understand that.. its just that...
18:22:22 we aren't bashing heads or anything
18:22:33 getfresh: adv has tried a few times
Back to top Go down
Sennen-Ko
General's Apprentice
General's Apprentice
Sennen-Ko

Male Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 6:10 pm

American Companies just do not understand a simple fact: ANIME IS NOT FOR KIDS. Maybe in Japan it's different, but in America, Anime should not be some kiddy kiddy cartoon. Anime is not some cartoon for little kids to watch, its a tv program for young adults and mature audiences to enjoy WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES, NO DUBBING. LOL, okay I just wanted to vent that out! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 6:18 pm

that is one thing I don't think the US will ever get over, its animated, thus its for children. Look at simpsons, family guy, and american dad, very inappropriate for a young audiance, but children everywhere watch it, I grew up on the simpsons.
Cartoons are for children - yeah, so instead of proving the cliche wrong we edit the hell out of anime for the US. If it wasn't edited, parents would think twice before letting their kids watch it. Not that its stopped them from letting their kids get GTA, and then bitching about how violent it is. lol. Who knows, I doubt the US will ever get it through their heads, and with that same realization, fansubbing will never stop either.
Back to top Go down
[Cross]
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
[Cross]

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 6:26 pm

Actually not really, they animate straight to dvd series that aren't meant for children. Adult swim is completely unedited (except for in code geass where they edit a clear showing of Kallen's breasts, but thats understandable) well yeah. Basically the only ones under fire here are the saturday morning cartoon people and toonami for some extent like Naruto, but shippuuden is completely not for children. It won't relate to children themes and gets really serious after a while. So I would like to see what happens there. Its ironic for a country that is evolving through war and violence that wants to edit their saturday morning cartoons.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 6:28 pm

I dunno either, I can't believe that Naruto was on toonami in the first place... lol.

the uncut boxsets aren't for children of course, I mean, they sure the hell make sure anyone without a full time job can't afford to buy them anyway right? lol.
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 6:32 pm

See i also don't like the "its not for kids thing" i think that age is irrelevant as long a kid is mature enough to a) not get scared by it b) understand that its not real and c) not try to copy it.
Then i've got no problems with letting them watch it.
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 10:00 pm

So anyone know if a vid of this has been released yet. I had a quick look and i couldn't find 1.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 12:23 am

what about that one kid that got killed in a sandbox, because him and his friend were copying Gaara from Naruto? the kid was like 7 or 8.... and I'm sure he was watching the edited stuff, I think anime, maybe not all, there are some made for younger audiences, but for the most part, 13 and up.
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 2:05 am

Well those kids obviously weren't old enough to watch it, they broke 2 of my 3 rules. But that's just those particular kids, 2 kids that watched Naruto copied it with tragic results. How many other thousands of kids the same age have watched it but never copied it?

We can't say "oh look 2 kids copied it and 1 got killed, only kids aged 13 and up should be allowed to watch it" it's up to the parents to make sure the kids pass my 3 rules. If they do then i see absolutely know problem letting kids of any age watch it.

I mean i was watching DBZ (along with thousands of others) when i was 7, and i didn't copy them by punching people or anything. Cos i understood that it wasn't real and i shouldn't copy it.
You yourself in another post said "I've been watching rated R movies since I was like 7" have you ever harmed anyone because of watching them? Are you a criminal or something? No your a normal intelligent person. Why? because im sure you understood that what you were watching wasn't real and shouldn't be copied.

I'll bet that happened in America as well. What do you expect from a country that lets any old idiot own a gun then wonders why there are so many shootings, duh.

End rant lol.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 3:13 am

Oh, I wasn't saying that to mean ALL kids shouldn't watch anime, its just like parents buying their kids GTA, and then bitching about the violence. Its up to the parents to be more responsible, but at the same time, when an anime, LIKE Naruto, that's actually aimed for an older audience (13+)its partially edited and put on "toonami" parents don't give the cartoon a second thought and say "oh well, we better make sure that show isnt going to influence our children in the wrong ways". Sure its edited, and put in an earlier time slot, but that doesn't mean they can edit out the intended violence in the series, like gaara burying people in sand. Yes, there are plenty of kids that have watched Naruto, and never hurt a fly because of it. But when a show is intended for someone older, it shouldn't be placed in a time slot that parents won't think to be cautious about, edited or not. you know?

No I never hurt anyone, or did anything I wasn't supposed to because of movies that were rated R, but there were other children that I'm sure did. I was smart enough to know what wasn't real, and what not to act on, etc. My parents were aware of that. But again, some parents might not know until its too late, and they've gone off and hurt someone or themselves, like that dead 7 year old, which before I heard that story, would have thought would have much more common sense to himself, than to let the other kid bury his head in the sand. lol.
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 3:41 am

So we're in agreement in that it's basically the parents fault? I think they should pay more attention to what their kids are watching and not just assume that since it's on at a certain time that it's ok for them. When i was still a kid my parents would watch stuff they weren't sure about with me.

But then even if the parents do check it out and talk to their kids about it im sure there'll be some who do stupid stuff anyway. I mean some kid could try shoving his friend in a trash can after seeing it on sesame street.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 1:19 pm

yes, we agree on that for sure. Parents are ignorant and then when something bad happens, instead of taking the blame, they pawn it off and tv, or video games.
Back to top Go down
maxsteele77
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
maxsteele77

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 7:46 pm

Back to top Go down
Sennen-Ko
General's Apprentice
General's Apprentice
Sennen-Ko

Male Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 4:05 pm

I finally watched the Otakon Fansubbers vs. Anime Industry vid on Anime News Network's site. I still can't understand the anime industry's point of view. I personally don't think Japan gives a crap on what sells in America cause as far as Japan goes, there doing just fine and would be doing just fine regardless if America sells or doesnt sell there anime. It's America's Anime Industry that has this stupid notion that there edited, dispising dubbed, and horrible subtitles are something that anime fans want. When are they going to learn to stop dubbing and just subtitling the way fansubbers do?! As long the America Anime Industry continues to neglect this issue, fansubbing will never stop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results   Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Otakon Fansubers vs Industry Panel results
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: Random Chat-
Jump to: