Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Names of characters!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sennen-Ko
General's Apprentice
General's Apprentice
Sennen-Ko

Male Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Names of characters! Empty
PostSubject: Names of characters!   Names of characters! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 1:13 pm

I totally respect that you guys are now using the names and terms used by VIZ. However, there are two I'm kinda iffy about. I think "Millennium Earl" sounds a little better then "Earl of Millennium". And the female General, Cloud Nine, is spelled by alot of people as "Klaud Nine". But I really hope you guys decide to use Cloud and not Klaud, cause Klaud sounds and looks like a guys name. I'm sure it's because VIZ translates it down to the core, but I preferred the way it was before. It's just my suggestion and opinion, but keep up the good work guys as always! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nanashi
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
Nanashi

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Names of characters!   Names of characters! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 1:41 pm

Thanks! Let me give you some information about the current state of things. Very Happy
Actually, as far as I can tell, what we use are not the names used by Viz, but the official Japanese versions of the transcriptions. E.g. we use "Arystar Krory", "Miranda Lotto" and "Road Kamelot" while the English versions of those names are announced to be "Aleister Crowley", "Miranda Lot" and "Rhode Camelot".
Most of the romanizations we use come from official Japanese (thus, not English and probably not Viz related) sources. That's how we decided to call Eeez Eeez and why we changed Chaoji to Chaozii and, as you will see in the following episodes, Yuu to Yu.
There are however one and a half deviations we agreed upon: Rokujugo will be translated literally as 65, which is also what it says on its.. uh.. forehead. That's the half deviation. The full one is that Jeryy will be changed to Jerry, because we felt that "Jeryy" looked weird. (Not only the name, but also the character, imho, but that's a different story. Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Female Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Names of characters!   Names of characters! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 4:20 pm

we're not using Viz's official names, we're using an official name guide that came out in japan with romaji names. So as those are the closest to official we can get while sticking to the original japanese, thats what we go by.

I've actually looked at the manga in the store, and its not Miranda Lot, its really Lotto, nanashi ^^ lol. And I do believe Krory is in the official viz manga too, but I can't remember. but going off of viz isn't accurate either since they have their own idiotic translation stuff, I've read that some volumes have Lenalee, and some have Linali... lol.

Sorry but our translations are going by the book (even tho I hate the earl of millennium, millennium earl sounds better, yes) but we're going for quality and that means going as officially as possible. So, unfortunately, Klaud Nine will be how its spelled, sorry, but if we changed 2, that would mess up our bases for how we spell everyone else' names as well. gotta be consistent.
Back to top Go down
http://higure-subs.heavenforum.com
Nanashi
Exorcist Order
Exorcist Order
Nanashi

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Names of characters!   Names of characters! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 6:22 pm

Higure wrote:
I've actually looked at the manga in the store, and its not Miranda Lot, its really Lotto, nanashi ^^ lol. And I do believe Krory is in the official viz manga too, but I can't remember. but going off of viz isn't accurate either since they have their own idiotic translation stuff, I've read that some volumes have Lenalee, and some have Linali... lol.

Wow. Big companies like that screw up that much with their consistency? How sad. ^^
The names I listed above came from a Japanese website where they just said "English version is Miranda Lot". No idea where they got that from, then.
Back to top Go down
Higure
Admin
Higure

Female Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Names of characters!   Names of characters! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 7:01 pm

yeah, Viz is kinda screwed up on DGM Trans. One reason I hate to support them by buying the DGM manga, lol, one of the reasons I have yet to do so as well.
Back to top Go down
http://higure-subs.heavenforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Names of characters!   Names of characters! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Names of characters!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anime/Manga :: D. Gray-Man Discussion-
Jump to: